Friday, November 11, 2005

I Got Confused Today

I was sitting in our student union today, playing a quick game on my laptop (notebook, whatever...), and I overheard the conversation of two girls sitting nearby. They were (and are still) white, and were talking about and making fun of African-American (I think in this context, the term is appropriate) names, such as Shaniqua, LaFawndah, and D'Quell. Near the end of their conversation, they actually brought up someone I knew, though not all that well. His first name is a pretty standard one, like John or William, but his middle name is latinized patriotic and his last name is almost standard, but has a variation I've never seen before.

I wasn't sure what to do. Should I go talk to these girls whom I don't know, or what? In the end, I decided to simply pray that God would make them more aware of other cultures and less mocking of other people. I need that too, sometimes.

Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?