Thursday, September 29, 2005

Such Things Go Above My Head...

I know they're convinced that they're right and all, but I have to say that I find it more than a little annoying when Roman Catholic bloggers say things along the lines of "Christ said that believers would be persecuted...that's why Catholics suffer today."

Pardon me. Am I simply misinterpreting? When they say "Catholic," I'm presuming that they mean "Papist," and are not simply referring to all members of the Holy Catholic Church. Perhaps I'm mistaken. If so, though, I think "arrogant" is the word that comes to mind.

Rome views Protestant, Anglican, and Eastern Orthodox denominations as heretical (though I think their view of the EO is different from the first two), which means that they consider them to be Christians. Do those in "heretical" groups not suffer for the Gospel, or is that simply the preserve of those folks with the rosaries and holy water?

The thing is, I have yet to run across any Protestant or Anglican bloggers who treat Roman Catholicism so shabbily. I'm sure there are some out there, but they don't seem to be in the mainstream. Those I've seen tend to at the very least be diplomatic, defending the RCC in a "I may not agree with what you say but I'll defend to the death your right to say it" way. However, major Roman Catholic blogs are constantly trotting out refrains along the lines of "anti-Catholicism: the last acceptable bigotry."

Way to bring back the heretics, guys. Has it ever occurred to you that, apart from what we regard as crazy doctrine, it just might be the Roman Catholics that are keeping the "separated brethren/heretics" from joining Rome?

Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?