Thursday, January 22, 2004

DJ HokiePundit

Guess who finally got his turntable working again?

When I'd packed it for the trip down to Tech, the belt had slipped off, and I had absolutely no clue how to put it back on. After several days of unsuccessful experimentation, I showed it to my roommate for his view. He didn't have any more success, but he did figure out that the way I'd been doing it was all wrong. Finally, I had my eureka moment, and it's working perfectly now.

My grandfather started a radio station (WXGI in Richmond), and both my parents had pretty decent record collections which they don't use anymore. Thus, I had a lot to pick through. I'm pretty sure I've got the entire works of Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, and a fair amount of Danny Davis and the Nashville Brass. I've got several Elvis LPs, the Beatles' first album, and plenty of stuff by Queen and other 70s-80s bands. I had one really cool-looking clear single by NOFX, and found several good finds at the used music store in town, including one by the Toasters, a Benny Goodman compilation, and several excellent classical recordings.

Unfortunately, some of the records aren't playable right now, as they 45rpm adaptor has gone missing, and I don't have a 78rpm setting, since it's recent-model Sony PS-LX250H. Still, there's something about listening to vinyl that CDs, tapes, and MP3s can't duplicate. I'm not sure what it is, but perhaps that it sounds a little more "live," compared the the often-overproduced sound of CDs. Also, I tend to listen to faster-paced songs in my car, but when I'm at home/apartment, I prefer slower, more relaxing stuff.

My friends, many of whom have IPods, MP3 players, and other high-tech audio equipment, seem to think that having a turntable is just about the coolest thing ever. Other than one friend who DJs, I don't know of anyone else (my age, at least) who's got one.

Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?