Sunday, June 29, 2003

Est Bonam?

I think it would be really cool to pray in another language (if I were, say, Italian, I might think it was cool to pray in English). It gives you a certain sense of privacy and reverence to be speaking to God in a way you don't speak to everyone else. To be sure, there's nothing wrong with praying in your native language, especially when praying with others, but...well...I can't explain it, but it just feels right to set something special aside for God when given the chance. I like Latin; it makes you smarter (I'm not kidding), and I like the ecclesiastical accent (as opposed to the Roman accent where "V" is pronounced as "W," so that "Virginia" would be pronounced "Wihrg-in-ee-a"). Thus, I intend to learn enough Latin to say simple prayers in it, though only as an addition to my normal praying.

UPDATE: I have zero intention of becoming Roman Catholic; this is not the first step. Secondly, I'm having some trouble finding the Latin for "For Thine is the Kingdom, and the Power, and the Glory, forever and ever." If anyone actually speaks Latin and knows it, could you post it for me?

Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?