Tuesday, May 06, 2003

Creationism, Evolutionism, and Bears, Oh My!

By way of Dean Esmay, I read of Clubbeaux' dealings with militant religious atheists regarding evolution. Perhaps it's just me, but I've noticed that a lot of the more entertaining bloggers are Christians (of course, it may simply be that we have similar neural pathways...who knows?). In any case, David, a fellow Virginian, does an outstanding job of countering the weak arguments arrayed against him. While I've covered this topic before, it's not really an important issue. I've seen evidence that could lead me to support either view, though not really enough of either to make me say for certain. Given the lack of archaeological evidence, the holes in the phylogenetic tree, and the genetic and chemical improbabilities (I've taken courses in Zoology and Genetics, so I'm not just pulling this out of my donkey), along with my faith that the Bible is inerrant and should be taken literally in the absence of evidence otherwise, I tend to side with Creationism. However, it's entirely possible that we've misinterpreted what the Bible means, and that "guided evolution" may be correct. If so, I wouldn't suddenly cease to believe in God. It's just that my default position is trusting my current knowledge of the Bible. Prove me wrong and I won't be angry with you, or even feel defeated, since I'd rather know the truth than simply be comfortable in a falsehood. Of course, I have yet to see that proof.

Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?