Friday, August 30, 2002

You See, My Mule Don't Like People Laughing...

That's right chill'in, the Virginia Tech "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" t-shirt is back! Rumor has it that last year UVA requested that we stop selling it, and the bookstore gave in [fools]. However, what to my wondering eyes should appear today, but that very shirt! Apparently, having mollified the Wahoos, the shirts are back! Basically, this is the design of the shirt back:

THE GOOD: [Hokie Bird logo]
THE BAD: [West Virginia University logo]
THE UGLY: [UVA seal]

As you may or may not know, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is one of my favorite films, and so I was mightily distressed to find out that I couldn't get one of the shirts last year. However, all is right once again, and virtue triumphs at last.

Semi-relatedly, when I worked at Ft. Hunt Animal Hospital, we'd occasionally receive newborn kittens that had been found abandoned. We would keep them for a few weeks, and then sell them for a nominal fee. Since most people brought the kittens back to us thoughout the cat's life, it was a good investment. In any case, one of the first things we would do is name them. Generally what would happen is that I'd come in for the afternoon shift and find "Linus, Lucy, Patti, Schroeder, Charlie, and Woodstock" in one of the cages. Other times included "Heath and Thatcher" (from A Knight's Tale) and names of the participants in Survivor II. Well, I'd been getting sick of this, so I resolved that if ever given a chance, I'd suggest some decent names. Lo and behold, one day when I was the senior staff member that day, some kittens had been dropped off that morning, with a reminder that they needed to be named the next day. Being the acting-manager for the afternoon, I was the last one to leave. I had noticed that one of the cats had one blue eye and one green eye, and so inspiration and opportunity consumated their blessed co-incidence and bore the fruit of my desire (man, that was a fun sentence to think up). I named the normal cat Tuco (The Ugly from the movie) and the mismatched cat Angel Eyes (the Bad). The next day, people kept asking me what was up with their names, and I had to keep explaining that they were gunfighters from a spaghetti western. There were some half-hearted attempts to rename them, but I parried their blows like a master and carried the day. Of course, the people who adopted Tuco didn't really like that name. In a fit of enlightened inspiration, they decided to name him...Mr. Bojangles. Sigh.

Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?