Thursday, August 15, 2002

I know I've been talking about an upcoming theological post, and I've got a lot of work done on it, but I'm considering not posting it. I'm afraid that I'll do more harm than good. The fools people who read my blog aren't all Christians. Simply put, I don't believe that non-Christians have the capacity to understand Christian theology (apologetics is different, and I have no problem with that). I believe that for anyone to be able to understand Christian theology and not accept Christianity itself, they cannot be in their right mind. For those who have not accepted Christ, they can only misunderstand Christian theology, and thus harm is done. Christians are already saved, and while an deeper understanding of their own theology can help them better explain their beliefs to non-Christians, it doesn't help them personally as much as it could harm non-believers. I'm not trying to be condescending, and I hope that I don't sound like I am. When I say that non-Christians can't understand Christian theology, I mean this in the same way that I would say that a quadriplegic can't run a marathon or do the backstroke. It's not a reflection of their intellect or even their motivation (though I do question the motivation of many, though not necessarily all, atheists). It's simply an ability they don't have, and that they would gain if they became practicing Christians. If a Muslim or Mormon told me that I didn't have the ability to understand their theology (again, for the record, apologetics is something different), and that they would therefore not discuss it with me, I would respect their decision (this doesn't mean that I would agree with it, though, and I would likely look up Muslim or Mormon theology on my own). Christian theology isn't hard to come by, and I'm sure that anyone who really cares can look it up with little trouble. However, I don't like the idea of being a party to people misunderstanding the Gospel.

Now, there may be some flaws in my reasoning. If there are, feel free to point them out. This doesn't mean that I won't post any more theology on this site or the Department of Theology, but I'm going to be more careful. I personally prefer discussing apologetics to theology, given the choice. I'm still working on my essays, but I'm not sure yet where I'll put them.

Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?