Monday, July 15, 2002

In God We Trust

Unfortunately, I have to disagree to some extent. I do agree that religion, or lack thereof, shouldn't be an issue when elected officials are making decisions, but that doesn't mean that the rest of us have to ignore it. I'm going to get some unhappy responses for this, but I wouldn't vote for someone I knew to be an atheist. I honestly believe that without at least an openness to the possibility of God, a person doesn't have the resources necessary to lead our country. I would vote for an agnostic, but never an atheist. In a like vein, I would never vote for someone who I knew not to be Pro-Life. Senator John Warner voted not to outlaw partial-birth abortions, and thus he has lost my vote in the next election. A vote is an endorsement, and I there are some things I will never endorse. There are some things that I disagree with that aren't deal-breakers (campaign finance reform, for instance), and some things that would prevent me from voting for an otherwise perfect candidate. I'm aware that politics is the art of compromise, and that I may risk having someone who disagrees with me on both the minor and the major issues, but that's life. It's late, and I'm still turning this over, but for now that's where I stand.


Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?