Friday, July 19, 2002

Ah, the Life of a Frog
(Search for "frog")

I was reading The Count of Monte Cristo today, and it occurred to me that not everything since the French Revolution has sucked, despite what otherwise-lovely and talented Lee Ann "No Deep-Linking" Morawski thought on July 5th. I mean, I dislike the French as much as any red-blooded American, but I'm willing to be honest and say that they've got one or two things going for them. One or two.

-Alexandre Dumas, The Three Musketeers, The Man in the Iron Mask, The Count of Monte Cristo
-Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince
-Maurice Ravel, Bolero
-Camille Saint-Saens, Danse Bacchanale, Concertpiece
-Paul Dukas, Villanelle
-Jules and Gedeon Naudet, 9/11

That appears to be it, though I have the feeling that I've left out someone. In any case, 200 years of existence should provide more than just seven people who've contributed to culture. I would count Sartre's Huis Clos as well since I liked it, but since I don't like Sartre otherwise, I'll skip it.

Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?