Saturday, June 22, 2002

I went to Foot Locker today, since I needed some new shoes. I saw a pair of adidas running shoes that I liked, and so I asked the clerk for a pair in my size, and he asked another employee to get them. As I was waiting, she came by with a pair of shoes and asked "you wanted the adidas?" Only, not quite. She said "you wanted the ah-dee-dahs?" (it vaguely rhymed with la-dee-dah). Now, to an American, this sounds silly. We know that it's "uh-dee-duss." Always has been, always will be (though on the bright side, they seem to be going back to the leaf emblem they had before, and not that weird three-stripe thingy). In any case, the following is a list of simple words that the Brits get, well, wrong.

"vitt-amins" =vitamins
"pesta" =pasta
"saehlsa" =salsa
"ah-dee-dahs" =adidas

There are more, but these are just the ones I've heard today. I would've mentioned aluminum ("al-ooh-min-ee-um"), except that they actually spell it with an "i." Thus, they're simply guilty of poor spelling, rather than poor pronunciation.

Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?