Monday, April 08, 2002

Well, I just got back from my Ecology class, and I was fairly bored for most of the lecture. However, one thing caught my attention: due to the Forest Service's practice of "out by 10AM" for all fires, no matter how remote or small, the amount of flammable material has grown unchecked over the past few decades. Now, when fires break out, they are well-fueled and can climb up trees where they spread throughout the canopy, causing fires of huge scale. Why am I bringing this up? Well, the first thing that I thought of was the global warming that no Biology 2804: Ecology lecture can go without mentioning. If we've seen that human intervention when we don't know exactly what's up can cause huge problems in the long-term, shouldn't we extrapolate that messing with the heating and cooling of the earth is a Bad Idea?

Comments: Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?